Skip to the content
VEGAN ASPARAGUS QUICHE
VEGAN ASPARAGUS QUICHE VEGAN ASPARAGUS QUICHE
- 8 cups rice flour, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups vegan butter, cubed and chilled
- 2 1⁄2 cups ice cold water
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 oz. fresh basil leaves
- 15 oz. firm silken tofu
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. So Delicious® Dairy Free Unsweetened Almondmilk with Cashew
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. chickpea flour
- 10 oz. asparagus
- 1 cup defrosted petit pois
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Cut in the vegan butter using a fork or pastry cutter until large crumbs form.
- Once crumbs have formed, use hands to massage the fat into the flour. Use your fingers to flatten out each crumb until all the flour looks hydrated.
- Slowly add ice water to the dough mixture, 1⁄4 cup at a time, until a tight dry dough is formed.
- Turn 1⁄4 of the dough onto a clean, floured surface or baking mat. Using your hands, slowly press the dough to flatten.
- Flour your rolling pin and gently roll the crust until about 1″ thick. At this point the crust is super dry and will likely crumble all over the place—that’s okay!
- Add a bit more flour to the top of the dough and fold it up like an envelope.
- Press the edges tight with your hands, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Once the dough has chilled, sprinkle some additional flour on a pie mat or piece of parchment paper—you’ll need this for leverage! Adding additional flour as needed, roll the chilled doughs into a 12-14 in. circle about 1⁄4 in. thick. If it any time the dough seems too dry and begins to crack, drop a few additional sprinkles of ice water on the top and press it in with your fingertips.
- When your first dough is ready, use the parchment paper to help you transfer it to a well-greased pie pan. Invert the pan over the dough and slide one hand underneath the parchment paper until it’s directly underneath the pan.
- In one quick motion slowly flip the parchment paper and the pan.
- Repair any cracks or tears with your fingers then press the dough firmly into the bottom and side wall of the pan.
- Place all the filling ingredients apart from chickpea flour, asparagus and petit pois in a food processor. Process until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Add in chickpea flour once you are happy with the flavor and process until well mixed in.
- Slice the spears that go underneath the filling into halves lengthwise. Fill the pre-baked crust with a layer of asparagus and petit pois (if using). Save a portion of the asparagus to char and decorate the quiche AFTER baking. Then pour the tofu filling over the asparagus and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake in a 390° F oven for about 35 minutes, until the top is nicely browned.
- Char the asparagus on a hot pan separately and decorated the quiche.
- Remove from the oven and allow the quiche to cool down completely to give the filling a chance to set fully.